HMSA Kaimana Awards & Scholarship Program
The HMSA Kaimana Awards & Scholarship Program honors high school seniors and their schools for excellence in athletics, academics, community service, healthy activities, and sportsmanship.
There are two parts of the program:
- HMSA Kaimana Awards for schools.
- HMSA Kaimana Scholarships for student athletes.
HMSA Kaimana Awards for High Schools
These awards recognize Hawaii high schools for all-around excellence in five categories. Schools compete within their own league and earn points in:
- Community service
- Healthy activities
All high schools in Hawaii‘s five interscholastic leagues can participate and compete for
an HMSA Kaimana Award:
- Big Island Interscholastic Federation
- Interscholastic League of Honolulu
- Kauai Interscholastic Federation
- Maui Interscholastic League
- Oahu Interscholastic Association
HMSA Kaimana Scholarships
For student athletes, the HMSA Kaimana Scholarships reward those who not only shine in the classroom and the playing field, but also in their communities through volunteer work. Special focus is given to students who participate in lower-profile sports.
Recipients can use their scholarships to pay for college tuition, books, and room and board.
Eligible students must:
- Graduate from a Hawaii high school in 2015.
- Hold a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.75.
- Participate on at least one sports team recognized by their league during their high school career.
- Write a brief essay on their high school experience and plans after they graduate.
- Submit two letters of recommendation from school faculty with their application.
Up to 15 students will be awarded scholarships for $5,000.
Got what it takes? Download an application here.